Alto Peak - The Marvelous Summit of Mt. Amandiwing







It was a busy Wednesday morning when a message popped up in my messenger’s notification. It read – “are you available this Saturday?”. I was then so delighted to send her my positive response. Why so? Because, for the past years, I am captivated by the mountains I have seen during my entire travel to Ormoc city, and I can't help but admire these soaring towers of Leyte - the sky-high Tongonan and Mt. Amandiwing in the left and the towering Magsanga on the other side. I have been longing to set foot in all of these mountains since then. Went scrambling in Magsanga last year and this time, let me start with Alto Peak.

The message was sent to me from a friend who is also an AdveNaturer, whose passion for mountain climbing has sparked within her that every weekend she would physically take off on a long-haul nature trip. She would invite and encourages others to do the same enriching, healthy workout. Her name is Anne.





Saturday. I woke up at exactly 3 in the morning and readied my things to bring to Alto Peak. As planned, we’re following a day hike itinerary, so inside of my bag are only my extra shirt and camera. I got out of my house at 5 am and waited for a van bound to Ormoc. I arrived at our meeting place, the city terminal at 6:10AM. While waiting for the others to arrive, I strolled around and walked inside a nearby store to buy some snacks and trail foods. I didn’t bother to buy a meal for lunch because a week prior to our trek, I ask Ms. Anne if she could cook additional packed lunch for me. Luckily, she said yes.





Then Anne and her friends arrived together with Remy. I know Anne and Remy before because we already met during our Buga-buga trek last year. They introduced me to Julie and Juliet, our cheerful hiking companions for that day. They too were invited by Anne to join this incredible adventure. I didn’t know that they are twins not until Remy told me. They had the same feature - the hair, face, the voice, I can’t even say who’s who —  they are exactly identical.






From the city terminal, we rode a tricycle that fetched us to barangay Dolores then transferred to a half-hour habal-habal ride to barangay Cabintan, our drop-off point. My mind is filled with thoughts that this is going to be an exciting trek, especially that not only I’m with an all-girl team but because this will be our first major climb, except for Anne who has been there 3 years ago.




We arrived at 8:13 in kuya Ramil’s house, he is the president of CALEGUID (Cabintan Local Eco Guide - composed of outdoor enthusiasts authorized to conduct tour guiding/mountaineering in the remote highlands of Ormoc) He then directed us to register first and pay the environmental fee of 25 pesos to the barangay office. He took a short briefing and gave us information before we start our major hike of the day. He told us good things and consequences on what to expect ahead, and at the same time, he introduced us to our two guides – Ms. Janeth and Arlypy, both female and a member of CALEGUID organization. Climbing mountains are their expertise and they've been going back and forth in Alto for many times already.


L-R: Me, Anne, Remy, Juliet, Julie, Arlypy, and Janeth

At 8:30 we started our trek and the first 10 minutes were just a “walk in the park” mode. I saw Ann picking something along the trail, and then she showed me some tiny red fruits. It is my first time to see a fruit similar to a strawberry (miniature version). Its taste is like guava with a hint of sourness. The plant is a shrub that grows to 5 meters tall. Its stem is thorny like a rose; its fruits are approximately 2cm in diameter. I overheard Remy, telling the twins that this fruit is rich in anti-oxidant. She jested that it has properties that would make us more pretty. "Hmmm! Then I need to eat a lot of these! Haha!". I ask Arlypy if I could bring some seeds and plant them back home, she nods, however, she told me that somebody already tried to propagate the plant in the lowlands but failed to bear fruit.




Further, the uphill climbing started to slow; the slopes went increasingly high. I already felt fatigued; my heart beats faster; catching a breath in every step I wielded. Honestly, I’m not feeling well because I had a fever that day. But no worry. I usually make nature trips whenever I get ill. I take nature as my medicine and every time I do it, I will right away be healed. I don’t know if you believe to this, that nature heals. But it is true to me. The green surrounding, mountains, trees, creeks, the serene music of nature will make me feel good and happier.




We arrived at the ‘junction’ site at 9 am where we could see the whole majestic Mt. Amandiwing ranges. The air smells different, like a rotten egg or something. Ms. Janeth told us that the smell came from the steaming Sulfatara site not far from the place we’re at. Sulfatara and Alto peak is part of Amandiwing’s mountain ranges which are covered mostly with thick fogs. Afar from here, we did saw its imposing Alto dominating the horizon, and it is inviting us to come closer to her - to praise her wonderful beauty at the top.


After a minute break, we then started our trek down to the base camp. Here, we were too anxious that rocks may fall above us because traces of landslides are apparent in the area. We walked by a mound of rocks left from last July's deadly earthquake in the central province. I was also saddened by the scene I saw that day as plants, trees, and other life forms that strive to live there were buried alive during the earthquake.



Halfway to the campsite, Ms. Janeth, our lead guide, suddenly halted the pace and pointed Remy who is next to her to not to move. I was in the tail with Arlypy, so we both didn’t know what was happening in front of us then we saw Remy leaping back towards us grumbling “Di ko ganahan ug ing-ana!” Yes, it was a snake, a black one. Though Janeth stayed calm and instructed us not to move, she told us that the more we make a commotion, the more aggressive a snake will be. Seconds later, the snake withdrew and disappeared.






We arrived at the campsite and took a large breather; ate some of our snacks that we brought along like bread, biscuits, chocolates, and chips. The place has a single tree in the middle which gives us a bit of shade from the sun. We refilled our bottle with water in the spring nearby. Its potable water is very refreshing as cold as ice, perfect to douse our thirst after an hour and a half of trek. 



At around 10, we continued our trek towards the ‘assault.’ The hardest climb of that day begins here.  The peak is just a kilometer away, but it took us an hour and a half to reach it. There are parts of the trail where it is too steep (80° to be exact) that we need to use a rope. The ground is rocky, and thick vegetation abounds in the surrounding. We slipped a number of times, tripped over thorny herbs, and were bitten by an black hantik, but despite it all, we were all determined to reach the summit atop.





As we move closer to the Alto peak, I noticed several bizarre floras that I had never seen before in my entire life. Mosses cling on trees, wild ferns, pitcher plants, and shrubs with beautiful flowers flourish the area. Arlypy said that some plants are endemic here and cannot be found elsewhere. The place is like a set of the movie “Jurrasic Park,” the ferns are humongous, foliage is different, and there is one particular plant that caught my attention, its leaf pattern is symmetrical on both sides. It is one fascinating kind of a fern indeed. 












Finally, we arrived at the peak at 11:50, less than fifteen minutes as we had expected. The heat from the midday sun blended so well with the cool breeze above relieving ounce of strains that we have dealt on our way up. We took our lunch there and wasted no time embracing the cool God’s creation 1332m above sea level. I estimated that the peak is probably 14ft wide occupied by highland grasses, short trees, vines, and lots of pitcher plants. The atmosphere was fine yet through our entire sojourn at the summit, thick fog was inevitably hiding the panoramic view of different municipalities below. But when we're about to leave the summit, the haze suddenly disappeared on the eastern side revealing a vast and stunning horizon. We’re thankful for that rare ‘clearing’ and hurriedly set ourselves to take photos of the amazing views. It was a huge opportunity to get the chance to see it in all of its glory. It was a triumph that transformed our inner selves into a person who could see the importance of every rise and descent. Setting foot at the highest point of Mt. Amandiwing is our greatest feat and the experience that we have gained, molded us to understand that all great things in life are truly acquired through hard work, and perseverance. And of course, the majestic view from above and the moment along with new friends is indeed the most unforgettable reward that we had that day.



PS

Alto Peak is the highest point of Mt. Amandiwing in Leyte and also the highest in Eastern Visayas. Situated in Brgy Cabintan, Ormoc City, this 1332masl peak holds a bizarre flora I've seen for the first time. But, before we can appreciate its splendor from the summit, we must first complete a hard climb that necessitates an active 'payter' spirit! And it is what lurks beneath of each of my gorgeous companions' hearts. Yeah! I'm with an all-female adventurer from Ormoc. Shoutout to Anne, Remy, the identical twin Julie, and Juliet, as well as our most resourceful and instructive lady tour guides, Ms. Janeth and Arlypy. I thought that our pace to summit that day would take long hours but much surprised when we're told having settled a record to be the fastest group so far. You rock girls! I know we've made a fulfilling day. From picking wild strawberry to maneuvering foggy assault - from the start 'til the end - all of them makes our trek very unforgettable.

I enjoyed the experience! Daghang salamat ninyo!

Watch the video here:
https://youtu.be/M4d160uXFyQ



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bugabuga Hill - The Historical Landmark of Villaba Leyte

Bondari Peak - A Breathtaking Landscape

Lake Janagdan - The Hidden Gem of Mt. Aminduen